County of San Diego Medical Services (CMS)
If you lack medical insurance such as Medi-Cal, Medicare or private insurance, the County of San Diego may be able to provide support and treatment for some illnesses and conditions not related to HIV/AIDS medical care through CMS. This may be an additional program you could apply for when you qualify only for Ryan White. Call 800-587-8118 for more information.
Table of Contents
Minimum eligibility criteria
- Have an immediate or long-term medical need.
- Are a United States citizen/eligible alien
- Are a resident of San Diego County
- Are 21 to 64 years of age
- Met CMS financial requirements or receive General Relief
What does it cover?
|Prior Approval CMS covers
- Evaluation of your condition by a primary care provider
- Follow-up care by a primary care provider for serious health conditions
- Emergency room care
- Emergency hospital admissions
- Emergency medical transportation
- Emergency dental care
|Services that need to be Approved In
- Medical care from a specialist physician
- Planned hospital admissions
- Surgical and diagnostic procedures
- Limited rehab, vision, medical equipment and home health services
- Non-emergency medical transportation
- Prescription not on the CMS approved list
What documents will I need to apply?
Each time you apply for CMS, you must provide:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of country residence
- Proof of immigration status, if applicable
- Proof of your current income and resources
For more on CMS health benefits, visit:
How to apply
Call 1-800-587-8118 to request an appointment and apply for CMS.
If you have private health insurance, programs like The Office of AIDS Health Insurance Premium Payment (OA-HIPP) may pay your private health insurance premiums.
You can also apply in-person at these locations:
|Our Owen Clinic - UCSD Medical Center
200 W. Arbor Dr.
San Diego, 92103-8681
|Mother/Child/Adolescent Program - UCSD
4076 Third Ave., Ste. 301
San Diego, 92103
4070 Centre Street
San Diego, 92103
|Family Health Center of San Diego
4040 30th Street
San Diego, 92104
|Neighborhood House Association
286 Euclid Ave., Ste. 110
San Diego, 92114
Phone: 619-266-9400 Ext. 2214
Return to Health Programs & Medical Coverage home page